Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hand Dancing

I have never been a dancer.
I took a few dance classes as a kid, and lets face it, I was not born to dance. Although recently in my boredom induced browsing of the internet, I came across a new and unique form of dancing. This type of dance was appropriately named: Hand Dancing. Due to the fact that you sit in a chair and they only thing you really move is your hands. (well arms too, if you want to get technical) It is basically tap dancing with your hands! Apparently there are these two people who are professional hand dancers. Their names are Suzanne Cleary and Peter Harding. They are amazing! Check them out:


Due to their awesomeness, me and Amanda decided we should learn how to hand dance. But let me tell you, you thought this looked hard? Trust me, it's harder than it looks. After our fruitless efforts of trying to learn this dance, we decided to go with an easier version:


I'm not really sure why, but we found this extremely funny!

As significantly easier then the original this one is, I still struggle with it. Although after hours of practice, and the floor below us complaining that people were tap dancing above them, ("there were some. . . tap dancers in the hallway") we are getting there. Our hope is to become good enough that we can perform this for Vaudeville. Most people probably will not think it is as funny as we do, especially if they haven't seen the original, but we will get a kick out of it. And that's all that matters. Hopefully if we do perform this we will be able to film it, and I will put it up for the world to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment